TechTool Pro has long been one of the foremost utilities for keeping your Mac running smoothly and efficiently. With the release of version 10, it has become more proficient than ever.
- New features in version 10:
- Disk repair is now better at handling devices that are not formatted for your Mac
- Techtool Pro now supports iCloud Drive and has an iOS companion app
- Test your iPhone or iPad battery
- eDrive and Surface Scan now give you more flexibility
- Main features:
- TechTool Protection – TechTool Pro 10 includes the option of installing a system preference pane to keep watch over your Mac. New features include check for I/O errors, Power On Self-Test errors, Mac notebook internal battery condition, and RAID status (if applicable). It also includes the same improvements to the SMART check in TechTool Pro. All of that, wrapped in an entirely new interface.
- Check Computer – Check Computer is a handy way to tell TechTool Pro to run the entire suite of tests to give you the best possible snapshot of your Mac’s health. Sometimes, though, it’s nice to be able to leave tests out, or to skip certain drives. Using the new configuration panel, you have total control of the Check Computer suite. Power to the people.
- Partition Map – TechTool Pro has long been known for testing your Mac’s file system. It is important also to test the data structures that contain the Mac’s file system: the Partition Map. The new Partition Map test checks the partition map of a given drive for errors. Partition map errors can cause entire volumes to go missing, or prevent a Mac from booting. If errors are found, they can be repaired usin the Partition Repair tool.
- Partition Repair – Along with Volume Rebuild, which repairs Mac file systems, the Partition Repair tool repairs the remaining portions of the drive which keeps track of the volumes on your hard drive. This includes hidden partitions which keep track of your Mac’s startup process. The Partition Repair tool does just what it says, repairing the partition maps or drives where needed.
- SMART Check – Hard drives include a technology called SMART (Self Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) which can inform a computer about the health of its hard drives. In most utilities, just the overall results – passed or failed – are reported to the user. In the failed state, often there is little or no time to back up data before the drive fails entirely. Previous versions of TechTool Pro reported the overall status of each attribute, but some attributes don’t contribute to the failure of a drive. Now, the SMART Check has gotten smarter. TechTool Pro now knows which attributes contribute to drive failure, and will report a failing result before the drive fails completely. Giving you time to rescue your data.
- Memory Test – TechTool Pro 7 took a revolutionary step in testing memory, making TechTool Pro’s memory testing suite the most comprehensive test available for the Mac. In TechTool Pro 10, we’ve taken some of the additional advancements used by ATOMIC, our dedicated Memory Tester, and integrated them into TechTool Pro. Now, memory is ‘cleaned’ before testing, reclaimed from macOS, maximizing the amount of RAM that can be tested.
- Processor Benchmark – Get an objective measurement of your Mac’s processor performance. The Processor Benchmark too uses industry-standard measurement algorithms to test processor performance. Using this tool, you can get metrics that can be used to compare processor speeds apples-to-apples. Avoids the confusion of comparison using Megahertz.
- Bluetooth – Most Macs depend on Bluetooth to connect to the tools we use to interact with our computers: the keyboard and mouse. Bluetooth problems can result in dropped connections with those devices, which can be very frustrating. Verify the proper operation of your Mac’s Bluetooth hardware. Make sure that not only your input devices, but also your audio and fitness devices can connect to your Mac by checking the Bluetooth hardware on your Mac.
- Network Interfaces – Most Macs spend the majority of their lives connected to the internet. If the ethernet or wifi adapters in your Mac aren’t working, the valuable connection to the internet can fail. The new Network Interfaces test can test any connected network interface for errors. It not only tests ethernet and wifi, but also any other supported internet connection, ethernet over USB, VPN connections, even a FireWire network conneciton. Ensure the reilability of your internet and intranet connections by testing your Mac’s network interfaces.
- New features in version 10:
Note: to read all the features that are available in this app visit this page.
What’s New in TechTool Pro
Note: Owners of earlier versions of TechTool Pro 9, 9.5, 9.6 can upgrade to version 10 for $29.99; owners of version 8 can upgrade for $49.99. Anyone using version 7 or earlier can upgrade for $59.99
- Fixed Battery Check test crash during application launch.
- Fixed an issue in which Volume Rebuild would fail during Rechecking Structures.
- Fixed an issue with rebuilding a volume that was already unmounted.
- Fixed issues encountered in the Surface Scan test when testing volumes connected via Target Disk mode.
- Fix for a situation in which RAM Disks would display in devices lists when booted from a TechTool Protogo device.
- Enhanced detection of iOS devices via Wi-Fi and physical USB connections for the Battery Check test.
- Added Mount/Unmount Volume button to the Volume Structures test.
- Added battery state for iOS devices in the Battery Check test.
- Added battery manufacturer information in the Battery Check test.
- Added Tooltip information for Battery Check test.
- Updated Battery Check to correctly obtain device information on an iOS device running iOS 12.
- Updated Sensors Test for MacBook Pro (2018) support.
- Updated Processor Check tool for MacBook Pro (2018) support.
- Updated SMART Check test to address an issue with active SoftRAID drivers.
- Updated ‘Location:’ to ‘Assembled in:’ for the Check Computer configuration panel to avoid confusion.
- Updated the Local Network tool for recognition of new Bonjour service types.
- Updated English, French, German and Japanese versions of the TechTool Pro 10 PDF manual.
- Updated French, German, Italian, Japanese and Chinese (Simplified) localization.
- Updated Sparkle framework to version 1.20.0.
- Updated location and computer identification strings for Check Computer.
- Other minor fixes and corrections.
Requirements for TechTool Pro
- Intel, 64-bit processor
- OS X 10.10 or later.